Current News & events
Stay up to date with the latest happenings, news, and events within the Ontario Association of Parents in Catholic Education (OAPCE) community.
Enhancing Catholic Education
WHO DO YOU SAY I AM?
OAPCE REGIONAL MEETING DATES
JOIN US FOR OUR FIRST REGIONAL COMMITTEE MEETINGS OF THE SCHOOL YEAR IN SOME OF OUR MEMBER BOARDS WHERE WE WELCOME ALL NEW AND OLD OAPCE LIAISON REPRESENTATIVES!
CHECK OUR WEBSITE FOR AGENDAS ONE WEEK BEFORE THE MEETING!
WE LOOK FORWARD TO CONNECTING WITH ALL OUR PARENTS ACROSS THE PROVINCE!
Don’t see your region?
OAPCE will be hosting a virtual meeting for all OAPCE representatives who do not belong to the above boards or have an OAPCE Director
Stay tuned for details!
Dive into featured stories, highlights, and initiatives shaping the future of Catholic Education in Ontario.
Parents For Parents
OAPCE IN ACTION
Archdiocese of Toronto News
Pope Francis Appoints Bishop Francis Leo as Archbishop of Toronto
Archdiocese of Toronto News
Joe Perri, OAPCE
Reclaiming and Re-Engaging Parents As Partners
• Attend mass and have parent council say a few words inviting parents to the school for meetings, events.
• Invite Parish Priest, Catholic Women’s League and Knights of Columbus to attend meetings and events, have them as members on council!
• Create a brochure or flyer of your role as parents in the school, how to volunteer or help or become a member of the parent council – have one specifically for new parents to provide them pertinent info of the school – translate in other languages.
• Provide tours of the schools for parents before a meeting or on the weekend – a drop in for parents to meet one another.
• Create an easy webpage to add any info parent related or for the community.
• Create hashtags for the social media accounts (#wisdomwednesday) share info about the school or community.
• Ask them to be community members on the council to provide guidance and history of school.
• Help with sharing history/tidbits of the school of past events.
• Ask Parents to participate in school masses by attending, singing or reading.
• Host Fundraising events at church – i.e., bazaar, raffles, markets.
• Create a QR code for events so parents can scan to find out info.
• Create followers on social media accounts by inviting community members, past parents and alumni
• Books for Breakfast. Parents are invited to have breakfast while hearing an author read their work (and enjoy breakfast together) before school. Love of reading is encouraged, parents meet more parents and get tips on children’s literature.
• Do a twist on the coffee mornings – rotate volunteers through a schedule as parent ambassadors to be outside the school at drop-off and pickup times to greet parents they had not met, introduce themselves as members of the council, and invite folks to the next gathering (and wear something that identifies you, a vest, same colour, school spirit wear).
• Reach out to the neighbours and local community – have parent council members knock on neighbours beside the school and invite them to parent council meetings – builds community, in turn neighbours can help at school!
• Movie night! Family movie nights with snacks before and after so families would mingle and children would connect their parents with their friends’ parents. The extension to this, once families are comfortable, let the parents gather in another room as the children watch a movie under supervision of volunteers and of course, invite close neighbours and community members – what is better than watching a movie at your local school!
OAPCE Representatives! Subscribe to our distribution list to stay updated!
You can be the first to find out the latest news and tips about OAPCE.