As another school year begins, the Ontario Association of Parents in Catholic Education (OAPCE) would like to extend a warm welcome to all parents, guardians, and students. We hope that you have had a restful and rejuvenating summer break and are ready to embark on a successful year of learning and growth.
As the voice of parents and guardians of children enrolled in the publicly funded English Catholic System of Education in Ontario, OAPCE is here to support and advocate for you. We believe that parents play a crucial role in the education of their children, and we encourage you to get involved and be a part of your child’s educational journey.
“As we begin a new school year, let us hold onto hope and prioritize the health and well-being of our children. Together, with faith as our guide, we can navigate any challenges that come our way and ensure a bright future for our children.” A. Crudo-Perri and J. Perri, Co-Executive Directors, OAPCE.
One of the ways you can get involved is by becoming an OAPCE representative. As per Section 612 of the Education Act, every local parent school council whose board pays membership is required to have an OAPCE representative who acts as a link between the school council and the provincial association. This position provides an opportunity for you to engage with other parents, share your views and concerns, and play a part in shaping the future of Catholic education in Ontario. Consider becoming a representative and making a difference in your child’s school community.
As we start a new academic year, here are some helpful tips for parents:
- Establish open lines of communication with your child’s teacher. Regularly check in on their progress and discuss any concerns or questions you may have.
- Create a designated study space at home where your child can focus and concentrate on their schoolwork. Minimize distractions and provide a quiet and organized environment.
- Encourage healthy habits, such as a balanced diet, regular exercise, and a consistent sleep schedule. These habits can greatly impact your child’s ability to stay focused and engaged in their learning.
- Stay informed about your child’s curriculum and assignments. Attend school events, parent-teacher meetings, and stay updated on any communication from the school. Being actively involved in your child’s education shows them that you value and support their learning journey.
- Foster a love for learning and encourage your child to explore their interests. Provide opportunities for them to engage in extracurricular activities and discover new passions.
Moreover, here are some tips you can share with your children to help them make the most of the school year:
- Set goals for the year and break them down into smaller achievable tasks. By setting goals, your child can stay motivated and focused on their objectives.
- Develop good study habits, such as creating a study schedule, taking breaks, and reviewing material regularly.
- Be organized by keeping track of assignments, due dates, and important school events. Use a planner or digital tools to stay on top of your responsibilities.
- Seek help when needed. Encourage your child to reach out to their teachers or classmates if they are struggling with a particular subject or concept. Remind them that asking for help is a sign of strength and a way to grow.
- T. ake care of their well-being by practicing self-care activities such as exercise, spending time with family and friends, and engaging in hobbies they enjoy.
As we embark on a new school year, let us remember the importance of working together as a community to support our children’s education. OAPCE is here to serve as your voice and advocate for the continuation and preservation of publicly funded Catholic education in Ontario.
In 2024 we will be celebrating our 85th Anniversary and we invite you to join us in our mission to Engage, Advocate, and Enhance the Catholic education system. Whether it’s becoming an OAPCE representative, attending our annual conference, or simply staying informed and involved in your child’s education, your contribution matters.
Together, let’s make this school year a memorable and successful one for our children. Welcome back, and may God bless you and your families.
Stay tuned for many new initiatives coming from OAPCE including a fresh new logo, website and many other new ideas from us!
Here’s to the 2023/24 school year!
The Ontario Association of Parents in Catholic Education (OAPCE)